How to Use Milk of Magnesia as Natural Deodorant

Deodorant has been a problem for me for a while now. For more than a year I used (and loved) this great homemade coconut oil-based deodorant from Passionate Homemaking. Out of the blue, however, it suddenly started giving me a rash so I had to look for other options. Since then I have been trying out different natural deodorants with varying levels of success.

Now, however, I think I have finally found the perfect natural deodorant: milk of magnesia. Composed of magnesium hydroxide suspended in water, milk of magnesia is commonly used as a laxative. For reasons that I don’t really understand, however, it also works as deodorant when applied to the underarms.

My Experience with Milk of Magnesia

I’ve been using milk of magnesia for the last two weeks or so and I’ve found it to be amazingly effective at controlling body odor. I apply it after I shower in the morning and it keeps unpleasant odors at bay all day and often well into the next day. We’ve even had some summer-like days here lately but I’ve yet to notice any body odor even in the warmer conditions.

I’ve encouraged Jesse to try out the milk of magnesia as well and he’s reported similar success. It even worked at preventing odor during his weekly indoor soccer game, always a rather hot and sweaty affair.

How to Use Milk of Magnesia as Deodorant

Here’s how I use the milk of magnesia:

Pour about a nickel-sized amount of liquid into your palm.

Use your fingers to apply the liquid to your underarms.

Allow your underarms to completely dry before putting on your shirt.

Where to Buy Milk of Magnesia

I purchased this bottle from the pharmacy section of my local King Soopers. I bought the generic brand because it was less expensive. I’m sure that you could find it at any pharmacy–you can also order it online here.  Be sure to get an unflavored version (sometimes called original) because the flavored versions contain extra, unnecessary ingredients like food dyes and sugars.

The People’s Pharmacy also makes a milk of magnesia-based deodorant if you don’t want to deal with applying the milk of magnesia straight from the bottle. That deodorant is much more expensive than just applying it yourself, however, so I opted to just buy the milk of magnesia. Personally I haven’t had any issues with it being messy or inconvenient.

Another option would be to buy a roll-on deodorant container (or repurpose an old empty container) that you could fill with milk of magnesia and then simply apply to your underarms like a commercial deodorant. (I think something like this might work as a container, although I have not tried it so can’t be sure.)

Advantages of Milk of Magnesia

Beyond the fact that it’s amazingly effective at controlling body odor, I’ve also found that milk of magnesia has some additional advantages over other natural deodorants I’ve tried:

Low cost: Milk of magnesia is very inexpensive. I got a 12 ounce bottle for less than two dollars at my local supermarket. Given how little you use at once I’m sure a bottle will last months. This is a huge savings over the price of most commercial natural deodorants.

No residue or stains: When I used the coconut oil-based natural deodorant I would sometimes end up with dark, slightly oily stains on some of my clothes. So far I have not noticed the milk of magnesia leaving any sort of stain or residue on my clothes.

No irritation: So far, at least, the milk of magnesia is not negatively impacting my skin at all. I realize that, given my experience with the coconut oil-based deodorant, it may take a while for this reaction to show up, but so far things are going well. It also doesn’t sting when applied after shaving, which is a nice side benefit that can’t be said about all the deodorants I’ve applied.

No assembly necessary: Most homemade deodorant recipes I’ve seen have been quite simple to put together, but even simple recipes can seem daunting if you’re already feeling overwhelmed. I like that the milk of magnesia is ready to use right out of the bottle.

_______________________________________

Everyone’s different, so milk of magnesia may not work for you as it does for me, but if you’re in the market for a new natural deodorant I’d recommend giving it a try. If it doesn’t work you’ll probably only be out a couple of bucks, which is not something that can be said for most natural deodorant options.

This post is part of Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Freaky Friday, Sunday School, Monday Mania, Living Green Link-up, Your Green Resource, and Thank Your Body Thursday.

What do you use for deodorant? Have you found something you love or are you still looking?

———————————————————————————————————

STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Whole Natural Life’s ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers.

128 Responses to How to Use Milk of Magnesia as Natural Deodorant

1. Natural deodorant has been my nemesis. It’s the one thing I haven’t been able to change out effectively. Anything with baking soda breaks my arms out. And, other things have controlled odor. I will definitely try this. I’m thinking if this controls odor, then the addition of some of my natural powder would probably help control stickiness. Thanks for the great tip!
    Pam @ Ramblings of a Happy Homemaker recently posted..And the Winner Is…My Profile

2. Taryn says:

I have never heard of that. I use a homemade coconut oil based one also- but sometimes I just use regular because it takes awhile for the oil to soak in. Does the Milk of Magnesia dry/absorb more quickly?

• Meghan says:

Hmm…I think I usually give it about three to five minutes or so to dry. You can make it go faster by fanning air underneath your arms. I’m not sure if that would be shorter or faster than what you’re using now.

3. Janis says:

I’m about out of coconut oil deodorant. I think I’ll try this!

4. I’m so excited to see this!!! I too had issues with a rash with the same deodorant you did, but hubby is fine using it. I am definitely getting some milk of magnesia! So excited to try this out!!
    Saying hi from “Fat Tuesday”
    Kristina @From City Corporate to Suburb Mama recently posted..recipe of the week: real macaroni and cheeseMy Profile

5. Kristina says:

Ph no! So sorry it wouldn’t let you comment! Thanks so much for stopping over there! :)

6. Mrs. Z says:

Please do an update post on this down the road! I’d sure love to know how it works for you!!

• Meghan says:

Thanks for commenting, Mrs. Z! So far it’s been working great for the last two (now three!) weeks, but I will certainly update here if things change. I’d encourage anyone interested to just try it for themselves,though, as you can buy milk of magnesia very inexpensively.

7. Bebe says:

Magnesium is pretty much THE solution for body odor. You might be interested in this blog post by Cheeseslave: http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-i-quit-using-deodorant-with-magnesium/
    I have climbed into a magnesium bath with the kind of stinky pits that come on suddenly, like just showered a couple hours ago and where did this come from kind of stink, and the smell goes AWAY without ever submerging my shoulders or washing or anything! Seriously. I was blown away the first time I did it. I do still use soap to wash but the magnesium takes care of smell all on its own.
    You might look into the benefits of magnesium and do a little research as to why most Americans are deficient these days. My DNP says while calcium supplementation gets all the publicity it’s magnesium that she focuses more on.
    I found your post through Real Food Forager’s Fat Tuesday.

• Meghan says:

Thanks for commenting, Bebe. Yes, I read that post by Cheeseslave when she first wrote it – fascinating stuff! I’ve been supplementing with magnesium oil for the past few months now. It doesn’t seem to have made any difference in body odor for me, though. Perhaps I’m just really deficient so it’s going to take a while! Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience!

• Bebe says:

That’s why I think the therapeutic baths are so awesome. I’m pretty sure I was way deficient (had most all of the symptoms) but I bit the bullet and bought the magnesium flakes (mag. chloride), even though they were expensive, and alternated between those and Epsom salts (mag. sulfate), which are super cheap. I dumped 3-4 cups in each bath… the info says more is even better.
        I was doing a detox protocol for mercury (I’d just had a whole mouthful of amalgams removed) and Epsom salt baths were a part of that. My family thought I was just taking a lot of me time, I was soaking nearly every night. ;) But, it did it’s job.
        I got my magnesium level up in less than two months AND when my bloodwork came back my DNP said it was nearly the best she’d ever seen, every single heavy metal was under the negligible mark!
        As an aside to my experience, my 16yo daughter, who is a competitive athlete and includes kettlebell and interval training workouts, was able to give up deodorant/antiperspirant after just a few mag. baths and switching to a couple squirts of mag. oil under arm in lieu of deodorant. This is a girl who complained that the natural deodorants were just not effective and resorted to using nasty aluminum-laden antiperspirant!
        We also take an oral magnesium supplement daily, for maintenance. Plus we work hard to eat no unsoaked/soured grains or nuts, which can leach minerals from your body.

• Meghan says:

That’s so interesting! I didn’t realize that magnesium helped you detox. Hmm, now I’m wondering if I should try some baths with magnesium flakes. Thanks so much for sharing here!

• Laurie says:

Bebe – Have you heard anything that would contraindicate topical magnesium chloride for those with hypothyroidism? I started using the spray daily, and started having strange side effects such as weight gain and nightmares. It could be coincidence, but I can’t find a good naturopathic practitioner in our area to even ask.

BTW, I highly recommend the book “The Magnesium Miracle”. Magnesium is critical for many body functions. I’m just trying to figure out now the best way to increase my intake.

I found your post at Real Food Forager’s Sunday snippets. Thanks for sharing.
          Laurie recently posted..How to Make Large Curd Cottage CheeseMy Profile

• Bebe says:

No contraindication at all. Magnesium is a relaxant mineral and it seems incongruous that it would cause nightmares. But the thyroid, adrenals and ovaries are a trinity that work together and when one is out of whack the others are affected. Weight gain can be hormonal (ovaries) or adrenal related too. I have been on Armour thyroid since 2003 and my nurse practitioner (who was an ANP and has now gone back for the highest level of training for a nurse practioner, DNP, or Doctor of Nurse Practitioner) is the one who diagnosed my thyroid and adrenal issues back then (when standard medical care said I was fine) and has greatly encouraged me in my quest to get my magnesium levels up. In her opinion magnesium is the most important mineral the needs to be addressed at this time. BTW, my DNP is a co-owner of the integrative medical practice where I go. They use many alternative practitioners including naturopaths, massage therapists and acupuncture/Chinese medicine. I encourage you to find someone like that! I do a LOT of research and prefer to manage my health as natural as possible but it is SO nice to have someone who knows more than me that also prefers to use the least intrusive, most natural treatments.
            I take magnesium orally, about 300 mg daily, plus I use the Ancient Minerals magnesium flakes in my bath, PLUS I made my own magnesium oil out of those flakes and I spray it on after a bath or shower (and I do not rinse it off) and I spray it on my underarms every day instead of deodorant.

• Ashley says:

Hi bebe, where do you live? I have been looking for an integrative practitioner in south Florida. Yours sounds great and I’m praying on the off chance you’re somewhere near me. FYI I am also planning to try the Ancient Minerals oil spray as deodorant and also their lotion. Thanks!

• Sam says:

Whoa, I’m running for the bath as soon as I post this comment. I can’t wait to try both the deod. and the baths, as I’ve struggled with odor forever.

I stopped using the nasty stuff because it didn’t work, so there wasn’t even a point. Other tricks like witch hazel and apple cider vinegar have also not worked for me. I can’t wait to give this a shot. Thanks, ladies!

• Andrea says:

It probably works because it is alkalising. The bacteria that causes BO and other smells thrives in an acidic environment.

8. Julie says:

Thanks so much for this information, I too have had a rash from the homemade version but I tried the milk of magnesia and it works perfectly!

9. Tina says:

Magnesium is the best deodorant – hands down! I use magnesium oil spray (Ancient Minerals has one; Swanson Vitamins is cheaper). It stings when I first put it on, but settles rather quickly. Also, I recommend cutting by half with distilled water to cut down on the stinging somewhat. I spray my armpits and arms and legs. No natural deodorant can even get close to the effectiveness. The magnesium oil spray is beneficial as it’s in a form that your body can transdermally absorb and not only keeps odor away but keeps your magnesium levels healthy!

• Meghan says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Tina! I use magnesium oil, too, although I usually spray it on and then rinse it off after twenty minutes or so. I made my own and it leaves a sticky white residue on my skin so I don’t like having it on long-term. What does the spray you use feel like?

It’s funny, when I first started using the magnesium oil it stung quite a bit but over time the sting went away completely. Now I don’t feel it at all unless it’s been a while since I used any. I think the stinging is maybe an indication of where your levels are at? I’m not sure, though…

• I use a combo of magnesium oil ( made from Ancient Minerals flakes ) and magnesium oxide powder. I had the same experience with the sting. At first it stung a lot but now, not at all. I’ve wondered too whether that might mean your magnesium levels are rising. Seems like a good question for Dr. Mark Sircus?
        Kathy (aka Mrs Dull) recently posted..Scratch Cookin’ Tuesday 4/3/2012My Profile

10. [...] Milk of Magnesia: My New Natural Deodorant from Whole Natural Life. What an interesting idea! Magnesium can do wonders! [...]

11. Jeanette says:

I have been using Milk of Magnesia for several years and I will never use anything else! It dries fast, you don’t need much, and it has Never stained my clothes. I highly recommend it!

• Meghan says:

That’s great to hear, Jeanette! I couldn’t find much information from other people when I decided to try it so it’s nice to know that it’s a good long-term option!

12. Janis says:

Wow, this has been an education! Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

13. Juliet says:

Hi. Was wondering if the Milk of Magnesia is effective if watered down. Was wondering if I just put it in a roll on bottle right out of the original bottle. Can anyone tell me? I was also wondering if there is a way to take magnesium pills, add a bit of water and then add it to the roll on bottle. Wondering which would be better.

• Meghan says:

Juliet, I haven’t tried either of the things you proposed. I would assume, however, that putting the milk of magnesia in a roll on bottle right out of the original bottle would work best. I don’t think you’d have to water it down to get it to come out, although I could be wrong.

14. Jennifer says:

I am so grateful you wrote this post. I read it when you posted it, but didn’t actually try this until this weekend. I am one of those people who have not had success with any other ‘natural’ deoderant. Sometimes the stink would come on even if I used an aluminum laden anti-persperant. This has so far worked beautifully for me! It is such a blessing to not have to worry about always stinking wherever I go! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Meghan says:

I’m so glad that it’s working well for you, Jennifer! And thanks so much for coming back to let me know. It’s nice to get positive feedback. :)

15. SSR says:

I have used Milk of Magnesia for a couple weeks. I had the stinky underarm problem and tried lots of different deoderants. The Milk of Magnesia works great, even with a work out. Just used a small
    amount on a disposable cotton pad, let dry or use a hairdryer to dry before putting on clothing.

16. Meghan, thanks for sharing this great post at Living Green Link-up! I am featuring it this week! <3, Jasmine
    HappyMrsBass@Like A Mustard Seed recently posted..“How To” DIY of the Week: Making an Herbal SalveMy Profile

17. [...] Whole Natural Life has a great, frugal alternative to most homemade or store-bought deodorants, Milk of Magnesia. Find out how it worked for her, it just might work for you [...]

18. Terr says:

Hi Meghan,

I’ve just found your blog via a Google search on the topic. I’m all set to buy a bottle tomorrow but I have a question. What about residue when you raise your arms?

It’s summer time and I’d love to wear sleeveless shirts every now and then. How can I put on the MOM without having a weird looking dried stain under my arms?

• Meghan says:

Hi Terr, for some reason your comment got stuck in my spam filter and I only just found it. Sorry about that. I’m guessing you already bought the milk of magnesia? I haven’t paid very close attention to the stain issue in the past, but I wear sleeveless shirts,too, and I haven’t noticed stains under my arms. I will have to look out for that and get back to you!

If, however, you’ve already tried it yourself, have you noticed any staining?

• Terr says:

Hi Meghan,

Yes, I tried it. It didn’t dry up weird. However, I noticed that it didn’t work for too long. Maybe it takes a few applications to really kill off the odor-causing bacteria?

What I did notice is that it does dry up the pores of my skin a bit, so that was nice. I also noticed another side-effect; I noticed that I was more, um, “motivated” to “eliminate”.

Any chance that the magnesium seeps through the skin, and “motivates” the bowels? Have you or anyone else noticed this side-effect?

• Meghan says:

Hmm. It seemed to start working well for me right away, but everyone’s different, of course. My husband has noticed that he can often skip a day without noticing any odor problems, though, so there might be something to the idea of protection building up over time.

I don’t know about milk of magnesia, but magnesium chloride (aka magnesium oil) definitely absorbs through your skin. I’m surprised that the milk of magnesia had that effect on you with the small amount you’d use for deodorant, though, since one of the benefits of applying magnesium oil to your skin is that it bypasses the digestive system and thus allows you to supplement more effectively without causing bowel upset. It will be interesting to see if that side effect continues for you!

• Terr says:

You know, I let it go for a little bit, but I’m going to give it another try. It makes sense to me that it would seep into the skin, because the lymph nodes are right under the arm pits. Maybe I used a bit too much that day, but I just used a quarter-size dollop and smeared it into my skin, and the surrounding areas.

As I suffer with constipation, it’s not bad to have “encouraged” bowels, but I worry about developing laxative dependency or damaging my kidneys in this way.

Then again, not only do people swear by MOM for their arms, they use it for their face to control acne and keep shiny skin at bay. If everyone were experiencing digestive upset, then it wouldn’t be so popular, right?

19. nuel says:

am gonna try this out. i have teenagers now and i could smell their armpits :( after school. it is quite embarrassing. i’ll come back to this site whatever the results maybe. thanks for posting.

20. Shela says:

Dear Meghan, I had been researching the various forms and their uses of magnesium before I tried MOM for deoderant, but the info is difficult to obtain outside college, it seems! I finally found an unsweetened, little-known brand for only 2 dollars last night (12 oz. bottle, GeriCare from Dollar General) that I will use today and then report! You are delightful. You take the time to answer your readers and exhibit such love and concern for them! I will be back! Thank you, sweet Meghan!

21. [...] Using Milk of Magnesia as a Deodorant, as discussed at Whole Natural Life [...]

22. Lisa says:

I’m curious if Milk of Magnesia also helps with excessive perspiration? I sweat a lot, and I’d like to get rid of the embarrassing “wet” arm pits! I’ve been looking for something effective to try without putting more chemicals on my body or getting botox in my armpits. Ouch!

Thanks

• Meghan says:

Thanks for stopping by, Lisa! As far as I can tell, milk of magnesia doesn’t affect your ability to sweat. I’m not sure if there are any natural deodorant options that would help deal with excessive perspiration.

23. anna says:

i have celiac, & began to be irritated in lymphs by aluminum deo….so…i did find a deoderant called NOBO, which is natural salts deo. & very effective.. but, I am so excited to find this.. i was on a hunt on how to get more magnesium…as im deficient.. but, this is another huge issue for me..as im allergic to the other deoderants poison aluminum junk in it..LOL..:o….. im so glad u posted this.. im running to the 99cent store to get some..what a life saver..magnesium.. but..i have been trying to figure how to make my own deo.. & u got tha answer.. blessings.. :)

24. Jo says:

Lisa, I always had a problem with sweating too. I was finding that commercial brands of deaodorant were not working at all. I had to apply them a few times a day. I starting looking on line for alternatives. I tried the homemade coconut oil based one…worked great. Now I’m using a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch (1 tbsp / 6 tbsp cornstarch). It works great too, in fact I prefer it to the coconut oil one. I found that when I started using it I would sweat even more! WHAT!? So I kept researching…and still kept using the powder mixture. I found out that was my body getting rid of toxins from the commercial brands. I hardly sweat at all now. I am also looking forward to trying the milk of magnesia. I just bought some!

25. yuri says:

I use it as deodorant for the last 4 years and it works great! I live in the Caribbean and it is very hot here. I also heard it is good for melasma. It clears the skin

26. Daphne says:

I live in Florida and its gets very hot..M.O.M. works….keeps me dry

27. Claudia says:

I’ve been using regular Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant for 3-4 years now and believe me, odor is gone, no stains under my arms and of course you have to let dry before putting your cloth.

28. Pat Poteat says:

I always take Magnesium supplements because it helps with my bruxism. Magnesium can really relax the tensed muscles.`*`..

Ciao http://foodsupplementdigest.com/yerba-mate-benefits/

29. Dena says:

Wow another great post. Great job Meghan.

30. VG KRISHNA says:

I am from India. I am thankful to you for bringing out the usefulness of Milk of Megnesia in tackling body odour (under arm odour). I came across this site while browsing the net for remedies to prevent under arm odour. I am using the milk
    of megnesia for the last seven days, I got rid of the bad odour. I will continue it. There is no burning sensation (which we feel while we spray a deodorant). It is also not harming the natural sweating of the body. Thanks a lot once again, I got rid of the under arm odour now, which I suffered for years,inspite of my trying so many deodarants. LET THE MESSAGE(M O M )GO TO THE WORLD.

31. Anna says:

Just picked up some MOM to try as a make up primer, but I’m also gonna try it as a deodorant. Thanks for the info!Keep it coming.

32. Elise says:

I’ve been using a magnesium hydroxide roll-on (Deodomom) for about 1 week & it’s unbelievably effective. Aluminum deodorants always caused painful knots under arms & this is the first natural solution that’s actually worked for me. Completely odor-free for at least 18 hours & no painful red rashes (which I experienced with Tom’s Apricot deo). Haven’t done any intensive workouts with Deodomom yet, but I am feeling very optimistic :)

33. Janet M says:

I’ve been using a pinch of baking soda under each arm and it works amazing. No odor whatsoever!

34. Jeanette says:

35. Folly says:

Pls can MoM work for my groin and foot odour? If no, any suggestn about what i can use, and if yes, which brand shd i buy? Pls reply.

• Meghan says:

I don’t know, Folly. I’d just try it out if I were you. It’s only a couple of bucks for a bottle so you don’t really have much to lose. Anything that’s just plain milk of magnesia should work (just don’t buy the flavored kind). I bought the generic brand (Kroger) at my local grocery store.

36. Folly says:

Thanks so much. What ingredients must the MoM have (or not have) to qualify as a generic brand?

• Meghan says:

Just look for one that only has magnesium hydroxide and water. By generic, I just meant that you can buy a store-brand (which are usually cheaper) rather than something name brand like Phillips. My store brand (Kroger) has worked well for me.

37. Folly says:

Hi, sorry for disturbing u but the MoM i saw in my local grocery store is d phillips brand. Cant it be used?

• Meghan says:

Oh yeah, it’s probably fine, assuming it doesn’t have extra ingredients in it. I just mentioned the thing about not needing to buy Phillips because here the Phillips was a lot more expensive. Just check it out but it’s probably great!

38. Folly says:

Pls meghan, i sent u a mail but u are yet to reply.

39. Sharon says:

HI. Nice article indeed. Well, i would like to know if milk of magnesia is fruitful in removing discoloration underarms because of the use of spray deodorants?

40. Bob says:

Works great. I dab it on with the cheapest brand of round make-up remover pad, which is less messy than using your fingers and I’m pretty sure works just as well. And you use less.
    Bob recently posted..My Experience with Acne and the GAPS DietMy Profile

41. benin says:

Hi Meghan
    I’m also facing over sweating and under arm body odor.
    Is there any side effect of using MoM to treat under arm body odor for long term.

• benin says:

I bought MoM from pharmacy in India. It contains MoM and Liquid Paraffin.
      Is there any problem with this combination MOm and Liquid Paraffin

• Hmm. I have not read anything about potential concerns with using topical milk of magnesia long-term. Personally I would not be worried about it at all. But you can always do you own research and decide for yourself!

42. pat slaughter says:

Where would one find mty roll on bottles for MoM. My husband and I love it. No odor ever.

43. Danielle says:

I have been using MOM as deodorant for months now, it works great, even after a workout! Though I have noticed if I “stress sweat” that I still get a bit stinky, but nothing like before. Clean up and reapply, and all is good. I keep mine in a 2 ounce spray bottle, and it’s a breeze to apply and I don’t have to get my fingers all wet! I want to play around with scenting it with maybe some lavender essential oil, but don’t know how much to use. Do you know how many drops would be appropriate for 2 ounces of MOM? I’m not looking for anything overpowering, just to add a pleasant scent to my pits :)

• A spray bottle is a neat idea, Danielle! As for the essential oils, I have no idea how much would be good. I’d just try adding a bit and see how you like it. It would be very easy to add more if it’s not enough the first time. :)

• Denise says:

Danielle, have you tried the essential oils? As a Young Living Essential Oil Distributor this too was a thought of mine. I would think just a drop or maybe two would be sufficient.

Roll on bottles can be purchased from http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/ They are quite reasonable.

This is a great post I stumbled upon today after checking out the Lemon Coconut Delights. I believe I am going to give it a try, thanks! ☺ ♥♥

• Denise says:

So I gave MOM a try and after about 10 days I have broken out in a rash. So I guess I will go back to my old routine. Kind of disappointing as I think I need the magnesium. :(

• Danielle says:

Yes, I did. I used Lavender oil and Rosemary oil. In my 2 ounce spray bottle, I probably put 5-6 drops of each. It worked great.

44. Caren says:

I have used Milk of Magnesia for over 5 years. A suggestion is put a little amount out the night before to thicken it.

• Thanks for this suggestion, Caren! I actually like it when it’s thicker so I’ll have to give this a try.

• Jan Gurgul says:

I have been using MOM for 5 months with great success. I too like the thicker consistency at the end of the bottle for ease of application. Yesterday I set out a full bottle uncovered hoping that I may be able to achieve this consistency through evaporation. I have also been wondering if it would be effective to just apply a magnesium powder and skip the entire wet step completely. hmmm

45. Cindy Green says:

I would like to know how pure MOM is….wouldn’t there be chemical taint from industrial manufacturing and made with city water.
    Why wouldn’t a spritz with homemade magnesium work just as good?
    Just wondering!!!

• Cindy, I honestly don’t know how pure milk of magnesia is. Personally I’m not too worried about it–but that’s just me. When possible I try not to obsess over the little details.

As for your second question, I’m assuming you mean homemade magnesium oil? I haven’t tried that so can’t tell you how well it works, but personally I have a few reservations about switching to it for myself:
      1. When I’ve used it on other parts of my body, magensium oil leaves an oily residue that I’m not fond of.
      2. Magnesium oil can sting when applied to the skin, particularly if the skin was recently shaved or is otherwise broked. Since I shave under my arms this would be a big issue for me.

If you do try the magensium oil, please let us all know how it worked for you!

46. Beppy says:

My mother has been using MOM for about a year, mainly because of concern that her sister had to have her lymph nodes removed, she loved it and encouraged me to try. I’ve used MOM for about 5 mo. now and love it. Especially love that I can hang a shirt up and wear it again without having to wash it! The next day there is absolutely no odor! Occasionally I have to re-apply in the middle of the day, thinking maybe I don’t rub it in enough. I think I will try the roll on bottle or the spray bottle, just skeptical because when it dries up and gets flaky it will probably clog and leave a mess. Today I mixed MOM with baking soda to try thickening it up and give it a little extra power and maybe not have to re-apply. It didn’t really sting, hard to say what it was doing but something was going on. Hope I’m not poisoning myself! Have you tried this?

• No, I haven’t tried adding baking soda, but so many homemade deodorant recipes include baking soda so I’m sure you’re not poisoning yourself. :) Good luck with the experimentation!

47. james says:

I haven’t showered for a week, and wanted to test it. I’ve changed my shirt daily and haven’t had complaints of BO. But that’s all without milk of magnesia. I just took my shirt off and can of course smell under my arms.

I just put some milk of magnesia on a tissue, and wiped my armpits with it. I didn’t shower first, because I wanted to really test whether it removes the smell.

It has now been 10 minutes, and I can (still) smell my armpits.

It’s hard to say whether it has reduced the smell, but I can still smell my armpits.

A disappointing result.

It’d be interesting if others when they have smelly armpits, try it out and see if it removes the smell.

I’d like to see other people test this. In my case the BO would’ve been dry sweat because I went a week without showering. But if others could test it with wet sweat that’d be interesting too. Or sweat only a day old.

I can smell my armpits from the crux(this is the case even i’ve had a shower) but also I can smell them a bit from the middle of my armpits(normally a shower with shower gel removes that). I think maybe a shower with just shower gel, might remove more body odour from my armpits more, though it takes a lot longer. This was much quicker but I still have quite a smell.

• James, I wouldn’t expect milk of magnesia to be able to combat odor after not showering for a week. From my understanding, it prevents the bacteria that cause odor from appearing in the first place–but I’m not surprised that it didn’t do a good job of covering up the smell once it appeared.

• Danielle says:

I agree. This is more of an anti-odorant rather than a deodorant. When applied to clean skin, it works fantastically. If you already stink, this will not make you not stink.

48. Caitlyn says:

Lavilin is amazing! It’s an all natural, aluminum-free deodorant. Totally safe to use and great for delicate skin! I have been a happy customer for over 12 years and I have not once experienced any issues!

49. Katie says:

I just bought some on my lunch break, planning to test it out tomorrow!
    Katie recently posted..The soy and estrogen myth: don’t believe the hypeMy Profile

50. Kathryn Ross says:

Meghan – totally enjoyed reading through this post and all the comments! I’ve been researching home-made deodorants and was planning to make some coconut oil with essential oils – I’m a Young Living distributor, too – like Denise who commented earlier. I love this MOM idea – I know I may have a deficiency, but I do wonder. I don’t really have an odor problem, and haven’t had one for a few years. I can go a couple days without putting anything on. The only thing I can relate that to is the Kangen Water Machine by Enagic that we bought about four years ago. It is amazing – 9.5 alkaline drinking water and full of super anti-oxidant value plus lots of minerals and calcium. This post made me think that drinking high alkaline water may help in the odor department. However, I will give the MOM a try. Hated it when my mother made us girls take a tablespoon full once a month to keep us “moving”. It all comes back – those old time remedies. Happy to follow you and put you in my Health and Wellness Blog List on my sidebar.
    Joy!
    Kathy

51. Wow! This is awesome! Funny too, because I set out to find some sort of OTHER natural deodorant (something without baking soda because, dang, it makes me get a horrible rash!) Anyway, I got sidetracked my my FB newsfeed and came across your article. SO glad I did!

Is this product TOTALLY natural and healthy?? What exactly is it anyway? I’m really wanting to try it!!! Thanks!
    Tessa McKnight recently posted..Book Review: The Other Baby BookMy Profile

• It’s just magnesium hydroxide. Google milk of magnesia for more information. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s “totally natural and healthy”–but personally I feel completely comfortable using it for myself and my family.

52. Amira says:

I tried this yesterday and wow, it worked. I had zero odor at all, even with normal deodorant I would still get an “odor” but with MOM — NOTHING. Even into today. I vacuumed this morning, which normally makes me hot and smelly and NOTHING! Thank you so much for this information. This could change my life!

53. Leana says:

I’m curious, there are other ingredients in Milk of Magnesia. How do you feel about putting those on your skin on a daily basis? I’m just trying to be as natural as possible. I have no idea if those other ingredients should raise concern.

54. Kare says:

A friend of mine recently turned me on to MOM as a deodorant, and I love it! I’ve only been using it for a couple of weeks, but she’s been using it for a couple of years and swears by it. I also love the fact that I can hang up a shirt I’ve worn and wear it again without washing it because there is absolutely no odor. I’ve been taking magnesium supplements for years. My naturopathic doctor prescribed it for a chronic constipation problem I had, despite eating a diet that I should not have had such a problem with. Not only did the magnesium solve that problem, but it also stopped the leg cramps that used to come in the middle of the night. I guess I was severely deficient in that mineral. Now I’m thrilled that magnesium has come to the rescue as a deodorant, as none of the other natural remedies I’d tried had worked. And I don’t see any reason to mess with a roll on bottle. I just apply it with a cotton make-up pad. Couldn’t be easier.

55. Melinda says:

I heard that Philips MOM and Wal Mart’s brand contain bleach in their products but that Walgreen’s and CVS’ private brands don’t, so are a safer choice. Will have to try.

56. Jackie says:

I’ve been using a batch of homemade spray deodorant from a recipe I found on One Good Thing by Jillee. It’s her recipe with Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera gel and various essential oils (mine has Lavender, Tea Tree and Sage oil) in it. I find I need to reapply it around 2 or 3 pm and it’s a little runny. Do you think I could add some MOM to it to thicken it up to add some extra deodorizing power or would that compromise the effects of the magnesium?

57. r says:

I use a spray bottle after my bath..works GREAT!…and NO ODOR..amazing…

58. Natalie says:

Great post!! I am new to your blog and want to check more of it out because it looks awesome. I have been using MOM for a few months and I love it!! It works really well. I started out using a cotton pad and pouring a bit from the bottle on it, and now I use it in a roller bottle with some orange essential oil. Best deodorant answer ever. All the baking soda ones made my pits burn.

59. francis says:

where can i buy kroger mom online. i really need it. wanna try the kroger brand first before giving others trial

60. teresa says:

Just saw this on Dr Oz and am going to try this out. I am menopausal and sweat terribly. So I pray this works…

61. Joaquin says:

I have used milk of magnesia for about 18 years with great results. The way I use it is diluting it with water at 50% then pouring 2 to 3 ml in to the bottle cup to apply it under my arm. Works great. It was recommended by my Dermatologist in 1995.

62. Linda says:

I have been using MOM for years now and LOVE it. I put on a sponge pad then use blow dryer and in seconds it is dry and no odor all day long no matter what I am doing. And no toxic ingredients.

63. pamela says:

Could i use epsom salt which is magnesium in place of milk of manesia?

64. Rain says:

Works just like you said. No knots, rashes or bumps and lasts the whole day through. I have searched for a long time and have tried so many deoderants that started to work at first and then would eventually dissapoint. This is my second week using MOM it makes me very happy because its one less thing to worry about. Thanks

65. MarkH says:

For the past two months I have been using a deodorant purchased from a company in New York. The deodorant only has one ingredient, magnesium hydroxide. It works better than any other deodorant I have ever tried, ever. No odor all day and all night. Not a hint of odor. I was planning to purchase more of it last night, however, it is quite expensive at $12 per 2 oz bottle. I decided to search the internet to see if I could find a cheeper version of magnesium hydroxide deodorant. I found your article. It is exactly what I hoped to find. Thank you.

I was curious that the name of the deodorant from the company in New York is called DeodoMom. That is a strange name. Now I think I know why it is called that. They may simply be purchasing generic Milk of Magnesia (MOM) and repackaging it in roll on applicators and selling it at a 3,500% markup. They may be hiding the ingredient right in the name DeodoMOM.

66. Nature Girl says:

The milk of magnesia HAD worked on me, but I’m starting not to like it that much. I keep getting painful bumps underneath my armpit. Is it because I don’t dab the magnesia? I normally spread it on.

67. shannon says:

I was purging my house, feeling so good about getting rid of the clutter and unnecessary things in my home, and came about a bottle of MoM that my husband needed to use after a surgery. I was so close to putting it in the trash, because I can’t foresee any reason we would need it and my bathroom cabinet was overflowing. but something stopped me. SO GLAD to find this!! Can’t wait to try it out.

68. Marie says:

I love Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant. It works well on me. That homemade deodorant recipe that you linked has given so many people I know a yeast infection, not because of the coconut oil, but because of the corn starch. Corn starch is a sugar and it is known to cause rashes/yeast infections on babies bottoms when used as a diaper treatment.