We love ice cream here. Since I don’t do well with lactose, I make all of our ice cream with coconut cream or coconut milk. This chocolate mint coconut ice cream is a big favorite at our house.
Even if you don’t have any issues with dairy, making coconut milk/cream ice cream is an easy and delicious way to get more coconut oil into your diet. I don’t think the coconut flavor is very noticeable in this recipe, but as I’ve said many times, my coconut tastes are pretty dulled from all of the coconut products we eat here, so your opinion may differ.
Notes on the Recipe
You can use either coconut cream or coconut milk in this recipe. Coconut cream will make your ice cream even creamier, so I often pick this option when I have a choice. Coconut milk works just as well, too, though.
I prefer this brand of coconut cream and this brand of coconut milk. Both are free of preservatives and any added gums/starches, and they come in a carton rather than a can.
In my experience, the BEST place to buy this coconut milk and coconut cream is at your local Asian market. If that’s not an option, though, you can buy coconut milk online here and coconut cream online here.
What if I Don’t Have an Ice Cream Maker?
I get this question from time to time. Honestly my first response is: get an ice cream maker! 🙂 Seriously. If you like coconut ice cream and think you’ll make it regularly, an ice cream maker is 100% a worthwhile investment. We got this model for our wedding in 2008, and it probably made a few hundred batches of ice cream before it finally gave out in 2016.
I replaced it with this newer model, which I’ve been very happy with. My family LOVES ice cream, and since Jesse can’t eat any sweeteners other than honey, homemade ice cream is our only option. (Plus, have you seen the cost of coconut ice cream in the store? That stuff is expensive.)
Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream MakerConair Cuisinart ICE-21 1.5 Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker (White)
If I haven’t convinced you, though, here’s a post from The Kitchn on how to make ice cream without a machine. Give some of their ideas a try and see what you think. I haven’t tried any of these methods myself, so I can’t comment on how well they’d work for this particular recipe.
Equipment You’ll Need
Blender OR mixing bowl and whisk
- 3 cups coconut cream or coconut milk
- 2/3 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey OR 2 tablespoons honey and 8 drops SweetLeaf clear liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- Blend all ingredients in your blender or mix by hand with a whisk.
- Process in your ice cream maker until desired texture is reached.
- Serve immediately or chill in your freezer for a few hours to firm up, preferably in a shallow container to simplify future defrosting.
- This ice cream will last indefinitely in your freezer, although it will become very hard after it’s been in the freezer for more than a few hours. Give it at least twenty minutes or more to defrost before you plan on eating it.
Looking for more coconut ice cream recipes?
Be sure to check out my other coconut ice cream recipes:
- Cinnamon coconut ice cream
- Mint chocolate chip coconut ice cream
- Chocolate orange ice cream
- Strawberry chocolate chip coconut ice cream
- Chocolate chip and raspberry coconut ice cream
- Chocolate peanut butter coconut ice cream
You might also enjoy reading my ultimate guide on how to make coconut ice cream, in which I share all of my best tips and tricks so you can develop your own coconut ice cream recipe, if you so desire. 🙂
If you’re also a fan of cashew ice cream, go try my recipes for cinnamon cashew ice cream and chocolate cashew ice cream.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Whole Natural Life’s ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers. Please also note that Whole Natural Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
8 Responses to Chocolate Mint Coconut Ice Cream (Dairy-free, Paleo, GAPS)