Beets are still abundant at our local farmers’ markets right now. Normally we mostly enjoy beets roasted with carrots and onions, but lately I’ve also been loving them in this simple marinated side dish. I especially like this recipe because it makes a bunch of leftovers that keep well in the fridge and taste good eaten cold. We prepare virtually all of our own meals, but ideally I only like to cook for dinner so leftovers are a huge asset in our house.
My toddler is also a big fan of this recipe. The prunes make this dish taste fairly sweet, which I assume is what she enjoys about it. She doesn’t particularly care for beets on their own, so if I can entice her to eat beets by adding some fruit to them, I’m all for that. 🙂
If you have time, this dish tastes best when made at least a few hours in advance. Advance preparation gives time for the marinade to be absorbed by the beets and prunes.
Newman’s Own Organics California Prunes, 12-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 6)Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, 32 Ounce – 1 Pack
- 3 large beets
- 8 prunes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim stems and ends from beets and scrub well. Place in a lidded baking dish and roast until beets are soft. I find that large beets take about 1.5 hours or so, but I'd start checking them after an hour.
- Once beets are done, allow them to cool until you can handle them comfortably, then remove the skins. Chop beets into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop prunes, then add to beets. Add apple cider vinegar and salt to taste. Mix all to combine.
- Chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Looking for More Healthy Veggie Recipes?
You should check out my recipe for cinnamon sweet potatoes. Like this recipe, it’s simple to make, tastes great as leftovers, and is toddler-approved.
What are your favorite ways to eat beets?
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Whole Natural Life’s ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers. Please also note that Whole Natural Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
2 Responses to Sweet and Tangy Marinated Beets