When I’m home, I normally turn to my cinnamon butter bites or homemade mint chocolates when I need an extra shot of fat. Since both butter and coconut oil melt at room temperature, however, neither of these options works well when I’m out and about. Recently I came upon the perfect solution: chocolate coconut butter prepared in chocolate molds!
Jesse and I have been making chocolate coconut butter since last winter, so I already knew that it’s pretty temperature stable. Normally we just eat it out of a large container with a spoon, though, which isn’t all that travel-friendly. Freezing the coconut butter in chocolate molds instead of a single container, however, produces bite-sized coconut butter treats that are perfect for bringing on the road.
To prolong the shelf-stable nature of these chocolate coconut butter bites, I recommend storing them in the freezer most of the time. This will lengthen how long they stay firm when at room temperature. After a few hours, they will definitely begin to soften at room temperature, but in my experience they tend to become mushy rather than becoming completely liquid. If you’re ever tried to travel with homemade chocolates made with coconut oil, you know that they can become completely liquid after a few hours at room temperature, but since these chocolate coconut butter bites are made from ground up dried coconut rather than just coconut oil, they keep their shape much better.
Equipment You’ll Need:
Food processor: You might be able to make this recipe in a blender. I haven’t tried it myself so can’t be sure. I prefer my food processor for making coconut butter because the cleanup is much easier. I have this food processor, but any good food processor should work.
Silicone chocolate molds: To make these portable, I highly recommend using silicone chocolate molds. You can find a ton of different options for these online. Here are the molds I used in the photo above. More recently I purchased this set of molds, which is more economical but just as high-quality, as far as I can tell.
Candy Molds & Ice Cube Trays – Hearts, Stars & Shells – Silicone Chocolate
- 1 lb. (or 5 1/3 cups) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 7 drops SweetLeaf clear liquid stevia (or substitute more honey to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dump shredded coconut into your food processor. Process until the shredded coconut becomes liquid. This usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes in my food processor. During this process, occasionally turn off the food processor to scrape down the sides of the bowl and reincorporate far flung pieces of coconut.
- Add the cocoa powder, honey, stevia and vanilla. Process until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Taste the coconut butter. If you are happy with the texture, spoon it into your molds. If you prefer a smoother texture, continue to process the butter until it reaches your desired consistency before spooning into molds.
- Put molds into the freezer for thirty minutes or so to allow coconut butter to harden. After it's completely solidified, pop out finished bites and store in a container in your freezer. Enjoy!
If your food processor is on the smaller side, you may want to start out processing just half of the shredded coconut. Allow the food processor to run for about 5 minutes, at which point the coconut should have reduced in volume enough that you can add in the second half without overfilling your machine.
I have brought these coconut butter bites through airport security several times without any issues. As long as they stay completely solid you should not have any problems. Just make sure to start out with them frozen (or at least thoroughly chilled) to minimize the chance that they will start melting before you make it through security.
Looking for More Coconut Recipes?
If you’re a fellow coconut lover, I suggest you also check out my recipes for lemon coconut delights, coconut berry delights, no-bake chocolate coconut cookies and flourless chocolate coconut butter cookies.
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note, I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with Whole Natural Life’s ideals and I believe would be of value to my readers. Please also note that Whole Natural Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
42 Responses to Chocolate Coconut Butter Bites: Eat Your Coconut Butter on the Go!