Hello there! It’s time for one of my monthly recap posts. I’m currently getting over being sick, so let’s do this month in bullet points, okay? Because I’m tired, and bullet points sound easier at the moment. 🙂
- Rain! We are getting rain. I’m in California, home to the long running California drought, so this is huge. We need all the rain we can get, and so far this month we’ve already had a couple of rainstorms. Keep it coming!
- All that rain has also meant that Keira’s getting to wear her new rain boats (which she insists on calling galoshes, thanks to Sesame Street), which are totally adorable. See photo above. 🙂 I’ve never bought her rain boats before because I could never find zero drop/minimalist rain boots for kids, but this new brand seems great!
- Pumpkin ice cream! I’ve made one incredible batch so far but need to make more.
- Organic sweet potatoes are back at Costco! I am very excited about this. $1/lb sweet potatoes are hard to beat. Now I can go back to making my cinnamon sweet potato recipe all the time.
- And big bulk beets are back at my farmers market, which means more marinated beets. If you haven’t tried that recipe, you should!
- I also went to my local semi-annual kids consignment sale. I buy nearly all of Keira’s clothes used, and shopping at the big consignment sale is my favorite place to stock up. I found a ton of great stuff this time! You can read my tips on buying used kids clothes here.
Updates from the Blog
In case you missed them, here are the newest posts from the blog:
Peanut butter chocolate chip coconut ice cream: This is like eating a peanut butter cup, except in ice cream form. (And if you’re like me, ice cream form always makes things better. :)) Oh, and it’s a healthy peanut butter cup, so feel free to indulge!
Coconut oil mints: These taste like a fancy mint, but they’re actually a great way to add some extra coconut oil to your diet.
No-bake cinnamon coconut cookies: My no-bake chocolate coconut cookies are always a hit with guests, so I came up with a seasonal cinnamon version. These cinnamon cookies are delicious and super easy to make!
The best gifts for toddlers: This is definitely not real food related, but just for fun I decided to write a gift guide for toddlers. If you’re buying any holiday gifts for toddlers in your life, you should check it out!
Instant Pot Yogurt: Did you know you can make yogurt in the Instant Pot? I’ve made yogurt several different ways over the last few years, and Instant Pot yogurt is by far my favorite.
Peanut butter coconut oil fat bombs: What can I say, I love coming up with new coconut oil recipes. 🙂 These peanut butter coconut oil fat bombs (or bites, whatever you want to call them) taste like the inside of a peanut butter cup. They’re my current favorite way of getting in my coconut oil.
Posts I Enjoyed from Around the Real Food Blogosphere
Healthy Green Savvy has a huge roundup of healthy pumpkin recipes. If you’re a pumpkin lover, you’ll definitely want to try some of these recipes!
Did you know that you can bake with acorn flour? A Modern Homestead shares a fun tutorial on making your own acorn flour chocolate chip cookies. This would be a great project to do with little kids who like to collect acorns!
Do you eat spaghetti squash? If you’re new to this fall vegetable, you should check out Healthy Green Savvy’s post about spaghetti squash. She has some good info on cooking spaghetti squash (and roasting the seeds), plus some recipes for you to try.
Has it cooled down yet where you live? I know fall is supposed to be all about the cooler weather, but that’s not true for all of us. If it still feels like summer where you live, you’ll enjoy a Modern Homestead’s list of 35 ways to enjoy fall even when it’s hot outside. There are some great tips here!